Monday, December 18, 2006

A lack of revision.

The title is quite self-explanatory, in that today I've not yet even started my holiday revision, and it's already the 18th and past 11 pm. Er, bugger. I'll actually start after this post since I do have to start eventually, so it may as well be today (rather than friday when I should have started....). I actually slept in till about 2 pm anyway since I didn't feel all that fantastic. Not ill, just quite tired and worn out. In fact, 'shattered' is quite an accurate description. Anyway, when I did get up it wasn't long before my dad returned home from the hospital, and he was quite glad to be out of there. It was nice to have him back at home. For the rest of the afternoon I generally put off my revision for a variety of reasons, such as watching more Family Guy, watching more Bill Bailey comedy, generally not doing much, and repainting my gargoyle miniature. I'd already done the dark green stippled effect, but when I started the marble veins it looked, to put it bluntly, bloody terrible. As such I gave the model a very thin wash of black to mute everything and started once more from a near-black base up to a slightly muted grey. I went for a usual stone effect as a) it's traditionally what suits a gargoyle, b) it looks quite nice, and finally and quite importantly, c) I suck at painting marble veins.

Here's the picture of what it looks like so far -
The Gargoyle

Since it's predominantly stone, most of it therefore counts as finished. There's only the partially buried shield and war hammer to paint up, but to add a tiny bit more colour I'll no doubt add a small amount of static grass to the base in tiny clumps around the base of the pillar. I'm not too sure how else to add colour to a stone model as I'm pretty happy with it even if it does look quite monochrome. I'll probably end up making the eyes red and gem-like, as well as painting the small face on the central part of the buried shield with (incredibly) muted flesh tones. Hopefully the minimalistic style will help the overall impact. It's the main reason why I made the talons, claws, fangs and horns almost white so they'd stand out.

Gargoyle musings aside, my plans for tomorrow generally revolve around going to Brighton in the morning for random shopping, then going to Games Workshop in the evening as per usual. No doubt I'll bring in some D&D stuff and so forth, etc etc. With luck I may even get a few games played, so that's all good. My revision calls, so I'll be off for now. Till next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home