Saturday, October 15, 2005

Square eyes.

The morning started off peacefully enough, waking myself up at 6am to set up the next few torrents funning. Then again at 10am. Then letting my computer rest at 1pm. Inbetween I just went back to bed and caught up on sleep, so by the time I actually properly got up at 1pm I'd finished downloading the next set of episodes for Trinity Blood. At the moment only the first 19 episodes have been subbed, but I've now seen them all. Shinsen subs are doing a very good job, it's timed well, the translations are consistent, and the text looks good whilst simultaneously being easy to read. That's quite a bonus since I've seen some groups who choose a stylish font that's ridiculous to read at speed. At any rate, Trinity Blood is going well, and though Abel is Krusnik/Cruisnik (Shinsen use the second term, but the first 12 eps I watched were from another group so different spelling) 02, I got to see Cruisnik 03. It's rather surprising to see who it is, and now I'm quite curious as to who 01 is.

Genshiken ended quite well for a very easy paced series. A spoiler is coming up - the one who joins at the beginning becomes the head of the group when the current chairman retires since he needs to get a job. It's good in that the ending has a sort of closure (new change) whilst at the same time leaving it open to the viewer as to what happens next in their everyday life. Though it was meant to poke fun at the otaku culture I didn't mind at all. Though I feel like an otaku, I've never quite had the money to simply buy everything, and there aren't any big manga or anime conventions in the UK that I know about. In November there's a comic convention in Brighton I believe, but it's for all comis and not just manga, so I wouldn't be that interested in going to be honest.

Time management also went well today, since I managed to tidy and update the Soul Society forums, complete my personal statement for review on monday by my tutor, and also write my psychology essay which I'd planned to do tomorrow. This leaves me mostly free tomorrow, though I do need to go and apply to a few places to get a job. That'll probably take the morning, so in the afternoon I'll either go to the cinema again or watch yet more anime and keep the downloads going. Currently I'm watching Gun X Sword, and there's only 8 episodes of that subbed at the moment and I've watched the first 4. It's been quite a productive day in that I've watched 11 episodes so far. If I had more to watch, I'd do so, but episode 5 won't be done for another hour or so unfortunately. Ah well, I'll just have to wait. This means though that by tomorrow I'll have all 8 episodes, and I'll move onto Shuffle! which currently has 12 episodes subbed. That should probably last until Monday taking up my download schedule, then I'll move onto Trigun. I've noticed recently that I've been watching more spaghetti-western type anime, Gun X Sword and Samurai Champloo being the most noticeable, then Trigun soon. I know, I know, Samurai Champloo is about Samurai obviously and is set in Japan's past, but it has the whole spaghetti feel to it.

In the first 4 episodes of Gun X Sword, I've managed a remarkable feat in that I've remembered some of the names. The main male character is Van, a guy who has a sash that can harden into a sword, and which can summon his 'armour' which is basically a cool-looking mecha. The main female lead is a young girl called Wendy who joins up with him very early on to search for her possibly kidnapped brother, who is with the man Van is loking for. Though there's no explanation as to why Van is going after this guy, it says in most reviews it's because his bride was killed by him, and it was mentioned in the preview for episode 5 that Van's reason would become clear. So, that's sorted then. The funny thing is that the girl said, when she joined up with him, that she'd be his bride in order to travel with him. When he asked if she knew exactly what that meant, she said "Only half.." whilst blusing, and he practically did a runner (with dignity of course). Heheheh. Quite entertaining. The music is also good in the series, and since it's modern the animation quality is very good too. The fight scenes between 'armours' is suitably impressive, and luckily all the mechas aren't the same. I don't always find anime where all the mechas are like Gundam all that interesting. Thankfully Gun X Sword doesn't follow the mould too much. Van's mecha looks more like the Evangelion units, though mostly white and black/dark blue.

Well, I've seemed to ramble on quite a bit today. So to give you a reading rest, till next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home