Friday, November 18, 2005

Goblets and editing.

Today went off without a hitch generally. Though college would've finished at 11.25am today due to the cancelled lesson, I was actually able to go at around 10.30am since once I handed in my lovely completed english language coursework I was free to go. However, since I had to wait around till 1.05pm anyway, I decided to stay in the class and I basically spent my time there chatting with the few remaining friends of mine who hadn't cleared off or had retreated to the library to have nervous breakdowns about potentially missing the deadline. It's was a pretty cool lesson, since my teacher is a fan of Amateur Transplants, a comdedy musical duo, and I had a few songs by them on my PSP. As such she listened to those and spent most of the lesson laughing, which was certainly 'different' and quite funny to watch. After that, and after I'd hung around till lunchtime, the two mates I was going to the cinema with showed up since they were both demonstrating marvellous personal character by skipping their last lessons. As such we all went to Crawley to see the new harry Potter movie.

Now, my views about the movie are quite mixed. One on hand, Hermione and Fleur Delacour, as well as Cho Chang, looked very nice. The characters were played well (though Harry depicting pain is still rather bad) and overall the film made sense as a story. However compared to the book, it was so heavily edited it was at the point of unfairness. Seriously, none of the Quidditch World Cup match was shown after the teams appeared. None of it. No little leprechauns, no veela, no dazzling moves by Victor Krum. Nada. Not only that, but the narrative was changed heavily in places to let the film flow. It was pretty much a retelling of the same story, squashed and altered by a cruel director. Admittedly this probably made it fit within a reasonable time to watch, but it was still rather annoying. If you're a fan of the books then you'll go see it and understand exactly what I mean. If you've not read the books, then it's still quite a good film.

Slight ranting aside, I managed to watch the first 10 episodes of Yakitate Japan when I got back home, and I still have another 2 episodes to watch to exhaust my downloaded supply. For a series that's basically about making bread, it's surprisingly not-lame and is quite entertaining. At first I didn't believe the recommendations, since, well, it's about a boy making bread in his quest to make a bread unique for Japan, such as French bread for France. It's actually pulled off quite well, and the character's reactions whenever someone eats the bread he makes are greatly comical. As such, I'd recommend it to anyone who's prepared to download over 40 episodes of a series that's still going. It'll probably take me several days to get them all, and possibly another day or so to watch them.

Tomorrow will be bleak for me, since I have two sociology essays to write. That will simply be bad, since the whole process for sociology necessitates the use of a bibiography in the recognised 'Harvard' style, which takes ages to research if you're working from handouts from class... At any rate with hope I'll get them done so I can just relax. After I finish them I have a treat for myself, since I need to watch Howl's Moving Castle which I have, so that'll be good. I just need to hope the sociology doesn't bore and irritate me to death... Till next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home