Friday, March 17, 2006

Whoops.

Well though this is 'posted' on friday, it's actually written sometime saturday evening using the blogger powers of temporal manipulation. I would've written it on time, but wasn't actually around the house to do so. Anyway, onto the post as per usual. College was averagely mundane, except in my 3 and a half hours free I first went to a meeting about university finances, and how to apply for loans, grants and so on and so forth. The pack itself had one of the largest forms I've ever seen, Jesus. That'll be insane to fill in. Afterwards it was a 3 hour long session of Magic the Gathering. I taught one of my friends how to play, then he borrowed a deck from another friend, as did I. He ended up using a white/green/blue deck, whereas I had a pure blue one. It was an insanely long game, and I won with most my health intact, but with only a single card left in my library. It was close, since he had the annoying card out that meant I had to pay a certain amount of mana for a single creature to attack based on how many basic land types he had. Freaking five. Five! In the end I won due to having an unblockable 6/6 creature and 15 mana to mess around with, to keep Treva the Renewer tapped and pinned in place (with the help of a Sand Squid too). The second game had me using a red fire deck, and I had an insane amount of monsters. However with the same damn restraint cards I couldn't attack, and so got wiped out relatively quickly. Curse 5 different lands in one deck. After that I used my friend's green elf and tree deck on unfair unfairness. Yes, it was that harsh. Within 4 turns I had a whole legion of elves with assorted 'get stupid amounts of mana' powers, and something like 8 2/2 little sapling tokens. My friend lost in a single turn of attack. I had so much mana I couldn't care less about any restraint cards.

After college, since it was a friday, I felt like going out and doing something. Since V for Vendetta was released I decided to go see it. Though lots of reviews said it was terrible I didn't particularly mind. A bad plot wouldn't bother me if the film was flash enough, since that's just what I felt like seeing. Plus V looked cool, and the film's made by the Wachowski brothers, the men behind the Matrix. I ended up contacting my mum too, since I knew she'd like to go out too, so we went to the cinema together and saw the film. Predictably enough the plot wasn't amazing, but it at least flowed. There were some issues with the pace of the film, since it spanned over a year with only a few lines said by characters ("It's been three weeks now, and..." etc) hinting at the passage of time. It was however a visually good film, and parts of it were funny when they may not have meant to be. A good example was Evie talking to V. "You killed him?" "Yes." "You're going to kill more people..?" "Yes." V's responses were in a flat monotone, and just made everyone in the cinema, including me, chuckle even though they seemed like they were supposed to be serious dialogue. Hugo Weaving who played V, and Agent Smith in the Matrix, delivered acting of almost Keanu Reeve's skill. Er... yeah. It could have been better, but then I suppose facial expressions are harder when you never remove the mask in the film. The story itself seemed heavily based on political issues now, talking about 'America's war' getting worse and worse, and there was even a point where Evie said a building didn't matter, and V explained that with enough ideas and belief a building was a huge symbol. Twin Towers anyone? Overall however it was a nice film. A passable story coupled with nice visual effects. It's worth watching merely for the possibly unintented funny dialogue. Well, till next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home